Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Apples and Strawberry Jam

My first melodies weren’t the Alphabet song or “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.” No. My little feet stepped into the musical world with John, Paul, George and Ringo. And it wasn’t the Yoko-Ono-long-bearded-acid-tripping-ganja-shrouded music. It was the squeaky-clean-suit-wearing-twist-and-shout-band that I fell in love with.


There's no denying that I love The Beatles; so Across the Universe, the new Julie Taymor film, was something I just couldn't miss. The musical love story had some interesting cinematography, but if you've seen Taymor's Frida, you'll be used to the out-of-the-box graphics that pop out of the screen.

Over 30 songs were strategically placed throughout the film with some pretty crazy arrangements and additions. The new versions were so good that even "I Am the Walrus," which was not one of my favorites in the past, has been on repeat on my iPod since last night. Perhaps the song that didn't work (for me at least) was T.V. Carpio's rendition of "I Want to Hold Your Hand." Her voice was amazing, but perhaps because she sang she wanted to be a fellow cheerleader's man made me go huh? And the dramatic exit through the football field was a little too much.

Evan Rachel Wood blew me away. Who knew the girl could sing like that?


And Jim Sturgess and Joe Anderson, besides being nice on the eyes, melted girls' hearts with sweet vocals on "Hey Jude," "With a Little Help From My Friends" and "Something" (my favorites). Sturgess, not only almost made me tear during the George Harrison original, but he kind of reminded me of Ewan McGregor who did his musical thing on Moulin Rouge.

If you don't believe the cast is really singing, here's their live performance on Good Morning America on Sept. 14.

Music aside, The Beatles references were all over the film from setting the beginning in Liverpool to staging the last scene on top of Strawberry Jamz, Sadie's record label. Oh and who has another fruity label? But Apple Records.



That scene was very reminiscent of the "Get Back" performance on the Apple rooftop and may have been a cop out to ending the film. And although it could've been cheesier, it worked. I mean, what better way to end a musical than with an ensemble performance of a song, right?

Across the Universe is definitely a movie not to be missed by any Beatles fan. But I will warn Beatles purists that some of the covers may shock. So just sit back and enjoy because if this band taught me anything it was that even though money can't buy me love, love is all we need.

No comments: